by Melissa Stewart
I think you’re beautiful just the way you are.
And those pics you take on your smartphone? Amazing!
But just in case you want to kick it up a notch, here are 5 FREE apps for photo editing on the go.
Instagram (Android, iOS)
You know it. You love it. You just might be addicted to it. It’s Instagram! It’s a popular online photo sharing and enhancement app – and the world’s most popular photo-sharing social network – that comes with a host of creative tools and filters. Transform your everyday photos and videos into works of art and share them with your family and friends.
• Edit photos and videos with free, custom-designed filters.
• Improve photos with 10 advanced creative tools to change brightness, contrast and saturation as well as shadows, highlights and perspective.
• Find people to follow based on the accounts and photos they already love.
• Instantly share photos and videos on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and other social networks.
• Connect with Instagrammers all over the world and keep up with their photos and videos.
• Send private photo and video messages directly to friends.
Snapseed (Android, iOS)
Want a powerful camera application with professional-quality editing tools, look no further than Google’s Snapseed to perfect your photos in a snap. This app brings to your mobile device the power and control of professional photo editing software, previously only available on the desktop. Now with the tap of a finger you can retouch, adjust perspective, re-edit, and more.
• Tune image
• Details – enhance details with traditional sharpening or the unique Structure control that makes a photo’s subject pop
• Crop – crop images to standard aspect ratios or free crop
• Rotate – easily rotate 90°, straighten or free rotate how you like
• Transform – adjust perspective across vertical and horizontal axes, then fill in empty areas after rotation
• Brush – selectively apply effects to regions of an image
• Selective adjust
• Spot repair – remove dust and dirt from the image without leaving a trace
• Vignette – adjust brightness around the the subject of an image, includes a control to freely position the effect
• Filters to Add Style
• Retrolux – make your photos look truly retro with light leaks, scratches, film styles, and more
• Noir – modern Black-and-White film looks with a realistic grain engine and the all-new “wash” effect
• Black & White – get that classic Black and White look with this darkroom-inspired filter
• Frames – add stylized borders to photos for the perfect finishing touch
• Stacks for Managing your Edits
Autodesk Pixlr (iOS)
Pixlr (formerly Pixlr Express) is a fun and powerful photo editor that lets you quickly crop, rotate, and fine-tune any picture, all in a completely ad-free experience. Choose from over 2 million combinations of free effects, overlays, and borders to further personalize your image. Pixlr makes you look like a pro, even if you’ve never edited a photo before.
• Apply effects in real time – preview effects and overlays straight from your camera.
• Easily crop, rotate and adjust images when saving and sharing.
• Choose from four pre-defined dimensions (or input your own custom dimensions) for fast and flexible image resizing after editing.
• Create and customize a photo collage by editing its layout, background, and spacing.
• ‘Auto Fix’ photos for a one-click fix to balance out colors, adjusting for poor lighting conditions.
• Explore cool tools: easily adjust the contrast and brightness of your image, focus on one color with Color Splash, or add impact with Focal Blur.
• Make your photo look like a drawing or sketch with stylize adjustments such as halftone, watercolor, and pencil.
• Remove red-eye and whiten teeth with simple tools.
• Explore the growing catalog of additional effects, overlays, and border packs.
• Overlays help adjust the mood of the photo – amplify the tone, cool it down, or add surreal shades.
• Finish off your editing process with the right border – pick a style that fits you.
• Keep track of your favorite effects and overlays with the favorites button.
• Share your photo directly with friends through Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or email.
VSCO Cam (Android, iOS)
VSCO Cam provides photography lovers a surprisingly versatile package of tools and presets to tweak their photos and apply special effects. It has a clean and user-friendly interface containing both filters and adjustments. A great way to shoot, edit, and share your photographs.
• Wide range of presets and photo-altering tools.
• Apply a variety of multipurpose preset filters with adjustable strength sliders, with more filter packs as in-app purchases.
• Share your photos to your VSCO Grid, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Google, your Gallery, and more.
• Boasts its own unique processing technology
• VSCO Cam is integrated with the curated VSCO Grid, a showcase of exceptional images from around the globe. Find and follow other creatives from around the world
Repix (Android, iOS)
• Built-in support for Samsung’s Galaxy Note S-Pen & Galaxy S 4 Air View technology
• 16 carefully designed filters, including amazing spotlight filters
• 17 beautiful frames gives a final touch to your photos
• Super smooth cropping tool with 5 presets
• Fast and robust adjustments tool let you easily bring out the best in your photos
• Zero-friction design: ability to switch between tools without extra steps
• Direct access to all the albums as well as photos in Facebook
• Studio-grade technology and intuitive interface to inspire new levels of creativity
• Direct share your photos on your favourite services. Keep on using #repix