by Silke Wolf
Do you need to go on a vacation? No. Nearly 50% of Americans got by without taking one last year. But if you’re a hard-working entrepreneur juggling everything from funnels to freelance employees, you should go on vacation this year. And I’m not just saying that because, as a vacation concierge, it’s my business to send people on spectacular, bespoke trips. I’m saying it because as a business-owner, I’ve seen the immense value of taking time off: everything from increased productivity to breakthrough creativity and more.
In this story, I’ll share five surprising reasons why you should start planning your 2020 vacation right now. They’ll include giving yourself the chance to:
- Connect with neglected loved ones. While you’re out there hustling, it can be very easy for your friends and family to feel completely ignored. On a digital-free vacation you can show them they’re a priority.
- Shower yourself in self-care. Going to a live concert at a dream destination is far different than listening to streaming music at home.
- Shift your perspective. It helps to get a different look at things while we’re away from home. To travel is to see the world through new eyes.
- Meet potential business partners. Yes, you can mix business with pleasure–briefly. Grab a business card or connect with them on LinkedIn and email them when you get home.
- Recharge your batteries. Your body will reward you with creativity when you get rest. You’re most creative when you least expect it. Just let your mind wander. There’s science that proves that you’re most creative when you don’t try to force yourself into being creative
- Just take time to unwind for no other reason than to just be and to enjoy. You only live once. So often we hustle when we should just stop, listen, quiet our minds and just enjoy being in the moment for once. Being away from home makes it easier to do so.
Silke Wolf is an international vacation concierge and founder of Local Insiders, a bespoke travel service that makes you feel like a local even when you are thousands of miles from home. Her customized travel experiences perfectly pair visitors with locals who are passionate about art, food, fashion, beauty, music and more. Silke has been an avid traveler for decades and has visited over a hundred cities across the globe from Honolulu to Havana to Paris to Shanghai. She has connected with experts around the globe to create a network of more than 100 insiders to match with her clients. Silke’s travel advice has been featured in Thrive Global, Travel Awaits and Business Travel Life. While she lives in Switzerland, Silke travels almost every weekend to find the unique sights, sounds, and tastes of regions that you won’t read about in a guidebook. Her mission is to help vacationers experience their dream vacation, discover the undiscovered, escape the crowds, and add a little magic to their time away.