by Mella Noir | Featured Contributor
Ever met a woman who is an expert in the wine world, a cocktail enthusiast, a craft beer sommelier and a champagne connoisseur? But, to balance the scales, she also lives a mindful life of eating vegan and gluten-free, practicing yoga, hiking and meditation every single day?
I have, and her name is Laurie Delk. She supplements her additional time (haha) by being a loving mother to her brilliant and precocious son, reading volumes of books, visiting art museums regularly and always, ALWAYS expanding her mind and horizons. I met Laurie when I was traveling and caught sight of a beautiful woman on the cover of a local magazine. Her smile was radiant and her eyes beamed love and light. I decided I must know her, picked up the magazine and emailed her that night asking her to come onto my podcast “Clink, Chat & Catch Up!“. She graciously agreed and through many bubbly brunches, calls and adventures together — I am proud to call her one of my closest friends…
Today, we get together to share a few ideas, so simple to Laurie, but so enlightening to our souls, spirits and hearts.
1. Meditate – We all desperately need “brain breaks” in our overstimulated, overstressed lives. Closing your eyes for even 5 minutes a day calms the “monkey mind”, slows our heart rate, regulates our breath, and relaxes our body. **Having trouble getting going? A great place to start is Oprah and Deepak Chopra’s free online meditation sessions every few months. My #1 recommended phone app is Insight Timer. With sleep, morning, relaxation, and even “Mini-Moments” meditations, there is something for everyone. You will even find yourself mediating with people from around the world in a truly unified mission of meditation.
2. Create a Supple Body With Yoga – Finding new energy and strength in your body and your inner self is one of the most empowering things you can do. When you stretch, you not only release tight muscles, but emotional toxins. *Can’t afford a yoga membership or think you don’t have time? There are an endless selection of yoga videos on You Tube for anytime home or travel practice. Your body will become strong and lithe, and you will find yourself walking with grace and posture.
3. Move to a Plant-Based Diet – Going vegan isn’t just a radical, anti-establishment movement, it’s about practicing a better life for yourself, animals, and the planet. When done properly, you will experience a lightness and energy you haven’t experienced in years, or perhaps ever. Besides feeling like you’re 25 when you’re 40? There’s compassion. Your heart and spirit are freed from contributing to acts of cruelty on another sentient being. How beautifully liberating!
4. Drink Water (Especially in the Morning) – I realize this sounds like a “duh” one, but I’m always amazed how many people still drink soda for breakfast. Our bodies need flushing, and the morning is a great time to do it. Squeeze some lemon in your water for your first 12-20 oz of fluid in the morning. Yes, before your coffee. I promise you will feel the difference, and your skin will thank you.
5. Hike – Get out in nature, and I don’t mean running or whizzing by on your bicycle. These are wonderful endeavors, but hiking makes you slow down, and really feel the ground beneath you. You will challenge your body and your mind as you progress in difficulty and you become attuned to nature and the wonders of this magnificent planet. Not to mention it keeps your brain razor sharp, as concentration and processing are musts to navigate rocks and terrain without a nasty fall.
6. Pay attention (Particularly to your Own Body) – One of my biggest mantras of life. Signs are always around you to be noticed. Get out of the tunnel and look around. If you are struggling with diabetes, obesity, eating disorders, or health problems, listen to your body. It is telling you (sometimes screaming) what you need and don’t need. Tune in your heartbeat, the condition of your skin, your hair, your tummy. If you practice mindfulness in your eating and your daily habits, your body will tell you what works, and what doesn’t. What comes next is called willpower.
10. Practice Gratitude – This truly encompasses all of the others. The quickest way out of anger, despair, hurt, and frustration is finding something to be grateful for. For your health, your child, your food, your bed, the choices are endless. I know it’s hard, it’s a lifelong struggle to stop a downward spiral and turn the tide. But it can be done, and meditation and prayer in particular are marvelous paths to realizing just how blessed your are. Love, light, and blessings to you all!
What I learned from Laurie is that every moment counts. Taking care of your body, mind and spirit is our duty, but guess what? We can enjoy doing it along the way. All the tips she gave are what she does daily — she practices what she preaches…and a more happy, joyfilled, spirited, lively, radiant person, (despite her own trial and tribulations) there could not be.
Thanks for the lessons, Laurie!
Mella Noir – Entrepreneur Success Stories & Inspirational Profiles
Mella‘s great love of the English language began her adventures in journalism, with a side passion for sales and marketing. She segued into advertising, and her fascination for both people and Champagne propelled her flute first into event and party planning. Many soireés, fêtes, and galas later, she’s still popping corks, clinking and chatting her way through life. She’s an original “Champagne Sister“, and producer of the Bubbly Talk Radio Network, where each Wednesday on *Clink, Chat & Catch Up!*, she profiles inspiring and passionate entrepreneurs and shares their story of finding and following their dreams. You can find her in the twitter world anytime: @BubblyTalkRadio, @ClinkAndChat or every Sunday (noon PST) hosting #ChampagneChat. Do you Facebook? Join her there too: BubblyTalkRadio, ChampagneChat and Clink And Chat. An avid social media lover, Mella’s always ready to “Create Custom Content to Connect You!” at Clink And Chat. Her motto: Keep your flute full and ready to *CLINK!*
Mella Noir – Entrepreneur Success Stories & Inspirational Profiles
Mella‘s great love of the English language began her adventures in journalism, with a side passion for sales and marketing. She segued into advertising, and her fascination for both people and Champagne propelled her flute first into event and party planning. Many soireés, fêtes, and galas later, she’s still popping corks, clinking and chatting her way through life. She was an original “Champagne Sister“, and hosted *Clink, Chat & Catch Up!*, where she profiled inspiring and passionate entrepreneurs and shared their story of finding and following their dreams. Along with her fellow international hosts, she created over 100 Bubbly Talk Radio Network podcastss, interviewing Kathy Ireland, Richard Simmons, Rex Pickett, Heather McDonald, Charles Stiles, Simon Majumdar and more. Mella produced “Inspired And Influence with Bri Seeley”, “The Flute Enthusiast”, “Life in the Lady C Lane”, and “Clink And Chat Real Housewives” and is proud to have been featured in “The Inspirational Woman Project”. Mella is a huge twitter advocate and besides curating entrepreneurial stories @BubblyTalkRadio, she shares social media content @ClinkAndChat and spreads bubbly love at @ChampagneChat. For over a decade, she’s been trusted to run social media accounts including celebrities Winsor Harmon (Bold And The Beautiful), Peter Madrigal (Vanderpump Rules), Eliza Roberts (Animal House) as well as many premium brands, restaurants and individuals. She’s well known on the red carpet circuit, live tweeting celebs – most recently at Emmy award winning “The Bay” alongside publicist Jackie Lewis.