Coworking is a remarkable concept that will enable many additional citizens to pursue their callings in entrepreneurship without the pratfalls of the prior 2 eras, the blue & white collar industrial ages.
No longer will the price tag, complexity, or fear of having to sign a multi-year lease, or rent to (eventually) own agreement be a stumbling block to the dream to be in control of your income stream(s); you’re now sharing costs & concurrently joining an entrepreneurial tribe.
What is coworking?!
This is a superb definition
Think it over: We’ve really only had this option for little more than a decade. Running parallel to the astonishing rise of social media & the proliferation of smart devices, co-working grew from humble beginnings.
At this point, choosing to become a member of an existing co working space, whether it’s new, or well established, tags you as a late ‘early adopter’ or at the onset of the ‘early majority’ class(es) of business owner/professional.
Intrigued to know more? Please click here.
Options for your business’ physical presence
All things being equal, there are 4 choices:
- Work from home. The flexibility of merging personal & professional lives under 1 roof always has appeal. Yet, if you’re a mom-preneur, have other neighborly commitments, or are easily distracted by the mass media, you might want to ask the hard question: will you be productive, or will you be ‘’busy’ ?
- The ‘coffee shop’ = office. Whether its an independent cafe, Starbucks, or Panera Bread, maybe you arrive early in the AM, order coffee & bagel, set up your notebook/tablet in the far corner near an outlet, & start working; that remains viable for some amongst us.
- Conventional ‘bricks & mortar’. Some business models & professions simply must have their own physical space: Medical office/clinic? Restaurant/bar? Retail, esp. a clothing store?
- And, then, there’s coworking. This article breaks down common options that most any space in your metro area will, or already is, offering.
Plusses of Coworking
Choose from the 4 above; none are ‘wrong’ – each option will appeal to someone & that someone might be you. However, let’s focus on the benefits of coworking.
You quite likely will …
- Save a significant amount
- Opt into various perks ( who doesn’t love ‘complimentary’ coffee?!? )
- Find flexibility ( month to month arrangements are commonplace )
- Learn how easy it can be to ‘barter’ services &/or products with your community/tribe
What if …
… co working hasn’t yet come to my area?
Take heart: many visionaries haven’t yet pushed outside the top 25 metros.
As always, there’s a trail of ‘breadcrumbs’ that the profit motive will enable, bringing facilities to your city.
One pioneer shares his vision – click here to read a short Q&A w/ him.
How Does Co Working fit into the Gig Economy?
Jim Collins, in his terrific book, ‘Great by Choice’, taught us to be able to zoom in & zoom out.
Let’s zoom out …
… & answer this Q.
- 1st, co working is similarly flexible. Do your research & check as many options as exist in your area; most spaces heartily welcome entrepreneurs who don’t want to sign multi-year deals.
- 2nd, the Gig economy spotlights project ( ‘gig’ ) based ‘work’; so does a co-working space. You can run this type of business easily & find much joy in the process
- Next, this economy encourages interdependence, as does the coworking option. Your ‘benefits’ ( insurance, investment vehicle/s ) could very well come in a barter agreement with a sales pro who offers them to solopreneurs & sits right next to you in the space.
- Last, your ability to be cash flow positive is accelerated; you can keep your prices aligned with your ideal avatars & earn more without having to pay steep lease or rent payments.
Using hashtag #coworking as a starting point, I suggest 3 Twitter handles worth a follow:
If you happen to be in, or looking to move to, central OH …
… the options are a plenty! Here’s a quick primer on some tip top choices:
Fantastic ‘All in 1’ Resources
As with any topic, the internet is a treasure trove of goodness, when used for altruistic means.
Co-working is no exception to this mantra. Here are a handful:
* the BEST. The infographic on the above from December 2018 is amazing!
In short …
- What exactly is coworking? Let’s explore.
- 4 options you have for locating your business.
- The positives of choosing coworking
- Coworking’s a big trend, yet it’s not everywhere yet. It will be, though. Stay tuned!
- Coworking & the Gig Economy are ‘fellow travelers’ = deeply interrelated.
- The Twitterverse, unsurprisingly, has valuable handles worth following
Thank YOU for reading!
SJ Barakony is a serial entrepreneur, futurist, & connector.
He lives in Ohio & is the Founder of Service Before Self Leadership: An Educational Solutions Provider.
He offers four highly customizable solutions to encourage families, individuals, faith institutions, & business owners to create & cultivate lifelong learning cultures in our homes & workplaces.
He’s been a guest on an educational podcast; been interviewed for an online small business community; is a guest blogger for Innovate NA; and has been an invited speaker five separate times for HECOA.
He believes strongly in youth & social entrepreneurship: He continues to serve two chapters of the YEA program (student mentor, mock judge, ad hoc consultant ) & has co-facilitated a session of the SeaChange Accelerator program.
He also recently became an educational advisor for Tessr.io, a startup in the exciting world of blockchain/cryptocurrencies that will be establishing a cutting edge educational foundation.