As web technology evolves, so do website requirements.
The Internet has shifted the importance of being mobile friendly, especially with phones and tablets now being more common for internet use than desktops.
This dramatic evolution has meant websites have had to change their ways in design, development, and layout – in order to keep up with the fast-changing markets.
So, what are the 5 most important web development trends you need to know about today?
#5 Website Security
Make sure to use HTTPS and not HTTP…
- Your information is kept secure; only the server and your browser can decrypt traffic.
- Your website identity will have far more integrity with followers and traffic.
- It protects you and your website visitors from phishing scams.
- Website traffic will be deterred from visiting your site if it’s not on the secure browser – costing you in hits and reputation.
There is no worse risk on the internet than being vulnerable to a cyber-attack. You could lose your content, your reputation or sales!
In this case, investing in better security will be far less costly in the long-term.
#4 Use videos
Gone are the days of just text and pictures on websites. The internet is now home to millions of new videos each year. One of the easiest ways to add video to your website is thru the use Youtube.
Internet users now prefer watching videos over reading bulky text passages, especially through much quicker consumption of information, and (DIY and teaching videos in particular) can explain in much better detail by demonstration.
The other benefits of featuring videos on your website includes:
- A much closer relationship with your audience will be established, if they have the one-to-one connection with your personality – an internet image will also help you in engaging with a larger audience.
- Videos are more likely to be shared on social media, as opposed to long text articles.
- Video will increase the visibility of your site to more users, and it will help you increase sales conversion.
This is definitely a trend online now that shouldn’t be ignored, especially if your web pages and blog posts aren’t quite hitting the target with audience engagement – plus making videos can be fun!
#3 Must be Mobile-friendly
Being mobile-friendly is a very important trend, especially with most internet users now coming from tablets, mobile devices, and smartphones.
You need to ensure that site navigation is easy, all the data is displayed clearly, no cut offs to borders or any other miscellaneous problems.
This doesn’t mean that the desktop version needs to be neglected, but your website being responsive definitely needs to be prioritized.
This number 1 blogging platform has spiraled in popularity over the last few years, and there are many good reasons why!
The benefits of using WordPress.
You get access to over millions of Plugins, which offer flexibility with the following:
- Your blog/website design.
- Easy to install features like subscriptions, email marketing, and search engine optimization.
- Easily make your website secure.
- WordPress is free and open source.
- It offers an online community with similar like-minded bloggers to share content and feedback.
- Very friendly for when integrating other social media platforms.
A responsive web design is a must. You need to solve the problem of various screen sizes. A responsive website will look good on any screen size. The responsive feature will automatically fit your page nicely onto the screen; no matter if it’s a smartphone, a bigger tablet or on a desktop.
This will minimize any bugs or glitches for visitors, and give a much smoother performance.
Savvy web designer with a twist – Monika Beck with Webene – San Diego, CA.
Monika Beck is passionate about website design, web programming, ecommerce, and building businesses. She is a serial entrepreneur and the cofounder of Success Harbor a website dedicated to help entrepreneurs succeed. Success Harbor interviews successful entrepreneurs and publishes topics relevant to business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs. Monika started Success Harbor with her cofounder in order to ease the life of entrepreneurs through original research, tips and unique content. Monika is also cofounder of Webene, a website design and online marketing firm based in San Diego, CA. Webene specializes in mobile-friendly responsive websites built on the WordPress platform. Monika loves playing classical music on the piano.