by Sonya Matejko
All of us need to understand the importance of branding. We are CEOs of our own companies: Me Inc. To be in business today, our most important job is to be head marketer for the brand called You. – Tom Peters
Back in the Mad Men era promoting a brand was much different. While many of the key techniques and rules still apply, it’s now a larger and more socially adept market to consider. We now have to work a little harder to make sure our voices are heard, and make our brand sound out louder than our competitors.
You might have the best product or service in the world, but it may still fail unless you find a way to make sure that the world knows about it. There are tried and true techniques, and there are new methods showing up every day in this technological revolution.
Everything is changing, in the world, in marketing, and in entrepreneurship. While it’s hard to keep up, it’s also an exciting part of history to be able to make a name for yourself in. It’s both a blessing and a curse that the possibilities are endless, and soon “endless” will expand further than we ever knew possible.
For now, there are 10 crucial things you need to promote your brand from the get-go:
1. Product/Service. First thing’s first, you need to have a brand to sell. What’s your shtick? What’s your unique selling point? What is it that you have that someone else needs or wants?
2. Networking. Once you kick start your brand you need to start networking like no other. Go meet with people who could be potential partners, supporters, and even adversaries to grasp and understand the competition.
3. Brand Identity. Picking your logo is integral to promoting your brand because this will be what customers will think of when they think of you. Make sure everything from your tags to your business cards align with the brand voice.
4. Business Plan. You’ll need to put marketing, operations, and finances out on the table. Without this key piece that leads you towards your business goals, you won’t be able to effectively operate much less promote your brand.
5. Advertise. Make your brand known, whether you use traditional media, the digital space, or try guerilla marketing tactics. Or simply hire someone to do all of that for you.
6. Website. Your brand needs a digital home. Make it informative, utilitarian, user-friendly, and aesthetically pleasing. Squarespace and WordPress are a good go-to, but don’t forget that “Content Is King.”
7. Social Media. There are countless reasons why your brand needs to be on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and even Snapchat. This one’s a no-brainer in today’s social world.
8. Word of Mouth. According to recent statistics, 74% of consumers said WOM was the key influencer in their purchasing decisions. Give them something worthwhile to talk about.
9. Develop Authentic Relationships. This goes for relationships with your customers, any affiliate marketing, or companies you can partner with to grow your business.
10. Perfect Your Personal Brand. This article goes into great (and inspirational) detail about how “one of the most important aspects of business is personal branding.”
Are you ready to make a name for yourself?
A brand is the set of expectations, memories, stories and relationships that, taken together, account for a consumer’s decision to choose one product or service over another. – Seth Godin
*Image source: https://unsplash.com/photos/yL0y87-F2ms
Sonya Matejko is a writer who is vibrantly falling in love with life in NYC and around the world. Her writing is featured on a variety of high-profile platforms and niche blogs. Her most popular article has been shared over half a million times on Facebook alone. Sonya writes about the dating world as well as traveling the world. She founded her blog, Single Strides, as a home for hopeless romantics and wanderlusts. She believes passionately in love even if she hasn’t quite gotten it right just yet. Sonya steals lunch breaks and midnights to do all of this on the side of her full-time advertising career with the goal of inspiring others to believe in love and to believe in themselves.
She Owns It accepts guest post submissions at https://sheownsit.com/guest-post-submissions/. If you have an article that would be of value to our community, please submit for approval.
All posts will be screened, links checked (limited to 3 and must be relevant), and author must be verifiable through a website and social media accounts.