by Rakesh Malhotra
Some surprisingly typical pitfalls of a real competitive office environment involve hiding into the backdrop because of apprehension, significantly forceful colleagues, insecurity about how your opinions and ideas will be deciphered, or trouble in making yourself heard. How successful you are in the corporate world depends on your capability to create an impact in your office. You can set yourself apart from the rest of the crowd if you can proficiently use your individual traits to inspire people, communicate efficiently, lead a team, and of course play your part.
Tips to Make an Impact at Office
You are always prone to make an impact at office, whether you realize it or not. However, if you desire to improve your impression in order to earn respect, achieve appreciation, gain prospects, and form a better relationship with your colleagues, then you should take adequate steps to make your presence known further than your credentials on paper.
The following tips and strategies can help you to create your own special image in your office:
1. Challenge the Status Quo: The desire to excel in the corporate world has a close relationship with the act of challenging the status quo. It implies that you have to test the untried and execute what others cannot. With this act, you do not only motivate and inspire others to take bold steps, but also achieve greater reputation in your office.
2. Stop Being Ordinary: Your effort to make an impact at work depends on how adeptly you can convert your ordinary traits into extraordinary. You are likely to stand apart from your colleagues if you refuse to be an average individual. This particular quality can provide much-needed focus and clarity to your professional life.
3. Be Innovative: You can prove yourself a valuable asset to your company or office by proposing extraordinary ideas, expertise, and skills. It is important to not feel uncertain and indecisive so as to play an active part in the corporate world. Strong research, rational facts, and proofs are major constituents of corporate thinking. You can prove yourself a pivotal entity of your organization by executing beneficial tasks which have never been tried before.
4. Modify your Mindset and Attitude: Your mindset defines your mental attitude as well as your approach on life. Positive mentality facilitates your mind to experience growth, success, and development. When working towards your purpose, you should anticipate favorable and beneficial results. This will give you an attitude to utilize every situation in the most effective manner. A positive mindset prevents you from being a cynic and makes you more realistic. You are likely to observe the reality of a situation from an entirely different perspective.
5. Be a Team Player: Team work does not only complete complicated projects, but also refine and develop certain skill sets that help you to make an important contribution to your organization. While working in a team, you have a better chance of proving your strengths and compatibility. You can make a considerable impression in your office by helping, inspiring, and encouraging other team members along the way.
6. Never Stop Learning: Constant learning can play a vital role in your professional growth and success. It inspires you to lead a more meaningful and satisfied professional life. When engaged in constant learning, you are likely to clearly visualize your success path.
7. Act for your Aims: Your aims and goals have full potential to drive you to great heights. They tend to give you hope, encouragement, and happiness. While establishing aims, you should motivate yourself to work for them. The ability to take appropriate steps for your aims makes you a person who does not fear to acquire his/her goals.
8. Own your Actions: Everyone makes mistakes. However, the ability to own your mistakes or actions makes you a respectable and responsible individual. It enables you to be appreciated and admired by your colleagues. Taking responsibility of your actions indicate your professional maturity.
9. Think Before you Speak: Your words have full potential to portray your personality. The innate ability of speaking can often become the reason of consternation. The act of speaking before thinking can present you as an ignorant, uniformed, or even insensitive person.
10. Dress for Success: Your attire can significantly affect your impression in your office. While putting on formal attire, you can promote your morals and values as well as maintain the graceful ambiance of your organization.
Above all, the ability to focus on vital few makes you a person whose judgments and opinion tend to be valued in his/her office. It is imperative to take up professional activities that actually attract you so that you can put in your maximum effort.
Contributed by Rakesh Malhotra, Founder of Five Global Values www.fiveglobalvalues.com and Author of “Adventures of Tornado Kid, Whirling Back Home Towards Timeless Values”. Passionately determined to uncover the mystery of human behavior. His fascination with the influence of core values on human behavior stems from a career which has seen rise from an entry-level sales job to that of a seasoned CEO. Having worked, lived, or traveled to more than 40 countries, he has been able to study performance and human behavior across all cultures. Follow me @FiveValues or Visit http://www.fiveglobalvalues.com