Destinations to Add to Your Travel Bucket List
If you’re anything like me, you probably spend way too much time daydreaming about exotic destinations and epic journeys.
Hashtag #vanlife. Hashtag digitalnomad. Hashtag #remoteworking. Yeah, I go down those rabbit holes too.
Whether it’s the allure of tropical beaches, ancient ruins, bustling cities, or serene mountains, having a travel bucket list is an absolute must.
Traveling allows us to immerse ourselves in the wonders of the world and discover hidden gems, and practice self care.
If you’re ready to tick off those dream destinations one by one, these off-the-beaten-path destinations offer unique experiences and a chance to connect with nature, culture, and oneself.
If you’re already freelancing or own a location independent business, you’re all set. If not, the TSS visa facilitates temporary skilled work in Australia, making it easier to explore these hidden gems while gaining work experience.
Bhutan: The Kingdom of Happiness
- Nestled in the Himalayas, Bhutan is known as the “Kingdom of Happiness.”
- Unique Gross National Happiness philosophy prioritizes citizens’ well-being over economic growth
- Offers enchanting landscapes, ancient monasteries, vibrant culture, and serene beauty
- Ideal for trekkers and nature enthusiasts with treks like the Snowman Trek.
- Explore traditional dzongs, attend colorful festivals, and embrace the spiritual essence
- Offers a unique blend of Scandinavian and Viking heritage
- Ideal destination for nature lovers, photographers, and outdoor enthusiasts
- Hiking opportunities, stunning sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean, and birdwatching adventures
- Immerses visitors in a world of natural wonders and tranquility
The Island of Biodiversity
- Located off the southeastern coast of Africa, Madagascar is a biodiversity hotspot
- Approximately 90% of species are endemic, including lemurs, chameleons, and exotic birds
- Offers lush rainforests, wildlife encounters, and pristine beaches
- Baobab avenues, limestone formations, and marine life add to the allure
- Ideal for wildlife enthusiasts and those seeking unique landscapes
The Jewel of Central Asia
- Nestled in Central Asia, Kyrgyzstan offers soaring mountains and vast steppes
- A haven for trekking and adventure tourism with the Tian Shan Mountains
- Immerses visitors in nomadic culture with yurt stays and cultural festivals
- Stunning alpine lake, Issyk-Kul, offers relaxation and water sports
- Welcoming locals and untouched landscapes add charm to the experience
Nomadic Traditions and Majestic Mountains
- Kyrgyzstan, located in the center of Central Asia, is a nation known for its nomadic culture and magnificent scenery. Beautiful mountain ranges in the nation, such as the Tian Shan and Pamir Mountains, draw hikers and trekkers from all over the world. Visitors can take part in horseback riding, yurt stays, and the friendly hospitality of Kyrgyz nomads
- Kyrgyzstan’s vibrant festivals, handicrafts, and traditional music all showcase the country’s rich cultural past. Visitors may appreciate the unique culture and customs of the Kyrgyz people by participating in occasions like the World Nomad Games and traveling to bustling bazaars
- Alpine meadows, crystal-clear lakes, and untouched wilderness provide plenty of options for adventure and exploration for nature lovers. A serene refuge may be found near the well-known Song Kol Lake, which is surrounded by snow-capped mountains
- Offers breathtaking landscapes with massive icebergs and serene fjords
- Ideal for nature enthusiasts seeking Arctic wonders and the Northern Lights
- Explore Inuit culture, go dog sledding, and immerse in the vast wilderness
- A destination for adventurers seeking unique Arctic experiences
Arctic Wilderness Adventure
- Svalbard, a remote archipelago situated between Norway and the North Pole, offers a truly unique and adventurous experience for intrepid travelers. Known for its rugged landscapes and Arctic wildlife, Svalbard is a dream destination for nature enthusiasts and wildlife photographers
- The main settlement, Longyearbyen, is one of the northernmost inhabited places in the world. Despite its extreme location, it serves as a gateway to breathtaking polar expeditions. Visitors can embark on thrilling snowmobile safaris, dog sledding adventures, and even witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights dancing across the night sky during the winter months
- One of the highlights of visiting Svalbard is encountering its diverse wildlife, including polar bears, reindeer, Arctic foxes, and a variety of seabirds. To ensure safety and environmental protection, guided tours and excursions are conducted by experienced local guides who prioritize sustainable practices
Atlantic Tropical Paradise
- Off the coast of Central Africa, in the Gulf of Guinea, lies the tiny island republic of Sao Tome and Principe. The islands provide a genuine tropical getaway with their lush jungles, palm-lined beaches, and vibrant Creole culture
- Sao Tome and Principe’s deep jungles are home to a wide variety of exotic flora and fauna thanks to the country’s high biodiversity. The abundant birdlife will excite birdwatchers, while hikers can explore the trails that lead to cascading waterfalls and volcanic peaks
- Sao Tome and Principe offers a quiet and tranquil environment in contrast to the busy tourist destinations, making it the ideal destination for tourists seeking isolation and leisure in a paradisiacal setting. This undiscovered tropical haven’s charm is enhanced by the relaxed atmosphere and friendly residents.
Pristine Paradise in the Pacific
- Travelers seeking unspoiled beauty and aquatic wonders will find Palau, an island nation in the western Pacific Ocean, to be a dream location. Palau, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a diver’s paradise with pristine waters and healthy coral reefs. Visitors can expect to have a variety of amazing underwater experiences, such as exploring the Rock Islands and Jellyfish Lake
- Palau offers a wide variety of activities for environment lovers and history buffs alike, in addition to its fascinating marine life, thanks to its lush rainforests, secret waterfalls, and historic cultural monuments.
Want more tips on traveling the world like a pro? Check out the Ultimate Travel Guide: Insider Tips for Exploring and Working Around the World Like a Pro to help you tick off those bucket list destinations stress free.
Melissa Stewart is the founder of SheOwnsIt.com. She is a Purveyor of Possibility, Entrepreneur Advocate and Coffee Addict. She believes that behind every successful woman is her story. What’s your story?