by Jasna Burza
One of the most common questions I get from my clients who are either starting a business or trying to grow one is this: “How do you sell yourself in a very authentic way?”
Most of us have something to offer and often, it’s something very valuable that could make a difference in someone’s life. Yet, we often get very clumsy when it comes to selling our services and we think that inevitable sleaze has to come with it. Well, stop right there because I have few tips for how to sell without the sleaze!
So many of you hate the word “selling” but we are all selling something to someone. I sell ideas to my kids and my hubby all the time. We are doing the same with our clients and people we serve but the problem arises when selling becomes inauthentic or clumsy. Here are a few things I have learned:
- If you have a gig or a business and you are offering a service, you are selling. If you are coach, therapist, artist, teacher, healer- you are selling yourself or your work. See if you can substitute the selling for “making better”. If you truly believe in your work: service or product, then think about how much better the other person will be because of what you have to offer. Think about why you started this work and how excited you were at the start of it all.
- Get your most confident self “ON”. So many amazing clients I work with are shy or nervous when presenting themselves. You have to find a way to get yourself into a state of confidence and assurance – the others then have to feel the same thing. If you cannot do this, you have to find someone who can do it for you but if you a solopreneur – it’s all you baby. I believe everyone can get there, but you need to start training yourself.
- Integrity. You have to believe in what you have to offer, believe in yourself and always being 100% honest and transparent. When I did software sales, I had the courage (to the chagrin of my boss) to tell the customer that we couldn’t do everything they wanted if that was the case. Guess what – 95% of those people ended up still buying the product because they valued integrity over functionality that wasn’t even that important.
- Besides keeping it simple and being yourself, there are a few tips and tricks when it comes to selling. For example, research shows that folks have to come into contact with you 7 times before they consider buying from you. I knew I had to make 20 calls to have one sale. If you don’t know some of these things, you are likely to get down on yourself and give up when progress could be just around the corner.
- Find community of peers to talk to, get into a Mastermind group and connect with likeminded people who will support you, give advice and cheer you on.
Lastly, none of this is complicated as we think it is, it’s just that we get down on ourselves when we are working by ourselves – especially if you are a solopreneur working at home. Let this be a reminder to get back on the drawing board.
You CAN do this.
My name is Jasna Burza and I am a Certified Professions Adlerian Life and Business Coach. I have extensive background in international affairs, public policy and software sales and hold a masters in Public Policy.
I help kind and ambitious visionaries find their life purpose. My work is based on research in neuroscience, neuroplasticity, and psychology with emphasis on positive psychology. I believes in re-creating brain pathways to build new beliefs, actions and life patterns.
She Owns It accepts guest post submissions at https://sheownsit.com/guest-post-submissions/. If you have an article that would be of value to our community, please submit for approval.
All posts will be screened, links checked (limited to 3 and must be relevant), and author must be verifiable through a website and social media accounts.