Pamela McCormick | Featured Contributor
Crunch! Crunch! Click! Zoom!
That will generally be the sequence of sounds you’ll hear as you rush toward your dream vehicle. As you run, imagine the wind on your face, the color. Open the door. Start it up and power down the windows. Turn up the music and rev your engines! Hear the roar in your head…. Be a Spark Plug!
Everyone needs that “Spark Plug” to ignite your own internal intellectual fuel and passion to fuel IDEAS! Plug it in and rev your engines! Spark plug you ask? Hey, your creative engine won’t work without all its parts. Don’t laugh. Being a spark plug is hard work, but it helps put you in control of idea development.
I suggest that you start a meeting, a public speaking event, party or creative session with a “Spark Plug” race, an imaginary competition to REV everyone’s engines and DRIVE up sales. It can also be a game to play while promoting family or team unity. Here is how it works:
- Place a checkered flag on the table (Hand drawn is the best.)
- Designate the race official/leader. This is the person that leads you through the track, timing, announcing the turns, etc and when to stop. (Only enthusiastic people need apply.)
- Everyone chooses his or her own “ride.” Grab imaginary keys. (Or these days just push an imaginary button.)
- Toss your “ego” out the window and make some noise. Engine noise! Rev your engine. Throw away the rear view mirror. Don’t even virtually buckle up.
- (In your best announcer voice). “On your mark. Get set. GO!”
- “Drive” your car, purse your lips together make your own unique engine noises. (Are you making noise right now?!) Lift your arms, grasp your “steering wheel” and just GO. Tap into your enthusiasm FUEL and let it go! (Insert more engine sounds here.)
- Make a turn. Then another. Pass on the right. I CAN’T hear you!! Faster. Faster. If you must, hop into the virtual pit stop and replace your spark plug. Then get back in the race.
- Faster. Pass the “vehicles” that run out of enthusiasm gas.
- Grab the checkered flag on table and wave it.
- Now brake. STOP. (Screeching sounds are encouraged here.)
- Grab your phone, iPad or laptop. Grab a pen.
- Start writing, whatever comes to mind. (For a designated amount of time.) Write Anything. I mean anything.
Step into the winner’s circle with your ideas. DRIVE up sales. Soar with success. Generate new ideas. Use your own internal “spark plug” and see what happens in your business or family life.
Ladies and gentlemen, ignite your creative engine!
You will be amazed, and amazing.
Pamela McCormick – Creativity Promoter/Inspiration Generator
Pam is a creative consultant, writer and dance teacher/choreographer. In addition to the joys of being a Mom of three (ages 13, 9, and 3) she has first-hand experience in the business of family and the life of a working woman, as well as more than 10 years as a business executive in product development/creative coordination.
Creative development is a specialty. Copywriting, editing, marketing, photo shoot management and sales presentation speaking skills are all in her “dance bag” of tricks. With her wide background of business, leadership, motherhood and teaching, she has learned to “leap” through it all.
Pam is an eternal optimist who is determined to help you transform the chaos of your daily life into an enthusiastic “DANCE.” Pam’s inspirational blog can be viewed at www.dancinmoma.wordpress.com.
Or connect with Pam on: