Diary of a Side Hustler: The Beyonce Edition How the Queen Bey inspires me daily
by Tanea Smith | Featured Contributor
Music to me is everything. Growing up,I could always tell what type of mood my mother was in depending on what record was playing in our house. If it was Marvin Gaye’s, “What’s Going On,” she was feeling introspective. If it was Patti LaBelle’s “Lady Marmalade,” she was feeling funky and up for partying. And if it was The O’Jay’s “Backstabbers,” well you know. . .
Unfortunately the songs of the 21st century don’t have nearly as much depth as the music from the 70s and early 80s, but everything is good for something, right?
Take Beyonce for example. She’s a beast. I mean she just is. She can sing her face off, her work ethic is insane, she’s a very astute businesswoman, and she’s built one of the most solid brands this side of Oprah herself. The fact that she’s one half of the wealthiest couples in pop culture is fantastic, but she herself is a powerful force. And that’s what I love most about her.
Her songs are front and center on my playlist because they put me in the head space I need to be in. Here’s how you can apply the lyrics of some of Beyonce’s biggest hits to step up your side hustle game.
- Dangerously In Love–“I am in love with you, you set me free.” Those three words alone should be the mindset of your side hustle every day.And yes, you really do have to love it. It can’t be a “like” on Tuesday and Thursday, and maybe once more “if I feel like it” on Saturday type of thing. You got to be all the way in. If you diligently work your side hustle, build it strategically, and give it 100%, it will eventually set you free from your day job.
- Flawless – “I woke up like this.”I absolutely loved when this song came out simply because of all of the fabulous merchandise that followed. Seeing women walk around wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the mantra, “I woke up like this.” was so inspiring. You gotta get up every day and bask in all that. Flawless is indeed a mindset.
- Diva –“A diva is female version of a hustler.”The word diva is frowned upon almost as much as the word bitch. I never understood the negativity around it because when I think diva, I think Diahann Carroll in Dynasty, Madonna when she was in her prime and Diana Ross for well, her entire career. I say wear the crown and own it.
- Ego – “I talk like this cause I can back it up.”I’m a tried-and-true native New Yorker and so very proud of it. I will admit it’s off-putting to some and guess what, I’m good with that. Why? Because my ego is just that healthy and yours should be, too. If you’re getting up in the morning with the slightest bit of doubt you are the best at whatever you’re doing, then you’ve already lost. There’s a difference between a Kanye ego and a healthy ego. Find your groove somewhere right in the middle and wear it proudly.
- Survivor – “I’m a survivor, I’m not gon’ give up. I’m not gon’ stop. I’m gon’ work harder.” This song should be on the playlist of every woman across America. I personally consider it my national anthem because the words just ring so true. The side hustle, like every other facet of your life has its ups and downs, it’s rainbows and it’s storms. But you can and you will You’re a survivor and please don’t ever forget it.
Maybe you’re not a Beyonce fan, perhaps it’s Tina Turner or Lady Gaga. Whoever speaks to you, I suggest putting together a strong playlist. One that makes you want to leap out of bed every morning and kill it.
Tell me what’s on your personal playlist?
Tanea Smith is the Owner & Creative Director of She’s Got Papers, a lifestyle greeting card & gift company with designs that are as powerful as they are witty and life affirming. But that’s only half the story.
As New York City’s Side Hustle Expert & an Inspirational Business Speaker she teaches women how to launch their own businesses while working full time. The “juggle” as she calls it is not for the faint of heart but Tanea believes that with passion, the right mindset and the proper tools it is possible for every woman to build the business of her dreams. Easy? No. Worth it? Absolutely.
Her mantra: There is life beyond your current gig!
Tanea has been featured in Essence, More, About.com, American Express Forum & The Wendy Williams Show.
Tanea has spoken at St. John’s University, City College of New York, New York University as well as a host of churches & women’s groups. She has a PhD. in thriving despite the odds. She is an honorary member of Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity.
See her stationery collection at: www.shesgotpapers.com
Take the journey with her & get inspired to begin yours at www.taneasmith.com