by Amy Jo | Featured Contributor
Let me tell you a little story. Once upon a time I started a business. Yep, I had quit my job, hopped onto the entrepreneur bandwagon, and became my own boss. I had NO IDEA what I was doing. Each day, I would get up, try a few marketing things that were a total bust, and end the day feeling like a failure. What ended up happening? I made…drum roll please…ZERO dollars. Zilch. Nada. So I went back to work at the ‘ol 9-5 grind totally beaten down and discouraged. Fast forward a few years and I was ready to attempt it again. Within 2 months of quitting my 9-5 job the SECOND time, I was landing clients, being accepted into massive events around the city where my business would be in front of 40,000 people, and traveling ‘til my hearts content.
So, what changed?
The short answer: everything!
It’s no secret. When you’re in the world of entrepreneurial business, your goal is to build a business that works FOR you and provides for you. But how do you get there? Well, you KEEP MOVING FORWARD. Instead of quitting (like I did the FIRST time I tried to be my own boss) you have to keep moving forward. Here are some steps you can take RIGHT NOW to have clients begging to work with you in no time.
- Set yourself up as an expert – No one wants to work with someone who says things like, “I think I’m ok at coaching… I mean I’ll try and help you and stuff. But if you don’t like me I’m so sorry.” No. Just no. You HAVE to set yourself up as an expert within your field. People love numbers and figures. Isn’t saying something like this more attractive? “Within 3 months, I have doubled my monthly income from my boring 9-5, already attracted my ideal clients, traveled to gorgeous cities, and put my business in front of over 40,000 people” BOOM! How juicy is that? A line like this tells your readers…aka your future clients… that you mean business and that they NEED your service to hit those 5-figure months they desire.
- Brand yourself – Branding is totally my frenemy. When I started my business, I had so many directions I wanted the ‘feel’ of my website to go that I literally had a mess. Branding your business is ESSENTIAL to your growth. It shows that you have your ducks in a row and that you mean business. Think common color pallet, unique wordage, cohesive professional photos, etc. People should have an image pop into their mind when they hear/see your business.
- It’s all in the copy, baby – Not the best writer? No biggie. Hire a copywriter! Your copy on your website and social media should be intriguing, enticing, inviting, and all the other fancy words that mean CAPTIVATING YOUR AUDIENCE! If I wrote something like, “Hey, I’m Amy Jo and I make people happy for a living. I have a package you can buy…click here” that tells my potential client nothing. It’s not interesting or exciting and it doesn’t make them want to know more. But if I said, “Hello, I’m Amy Jo, a Success Coach who works with newbie coaches to build their rock star programs and attract their ideal clients. Often times, my clients begin attracting their first paying clients within one meeting with me. Click here to know more!” How exciting is that?! I’d totally click that link, ha!
- Work that sales funnel like a BOSS! If you’re new to the online business world, LISTEN UP! I WISH I had known this tip at the beginning of my business. You HAVE to have a sales funnel lined up that works FOR you. Ideally? Automated. What a sales funnel does is it works to attract your ideal clients. Typically, you give away a freebie (psst, have you downloaded mine yet?) and your future client is added to your email list. This tells you that this person is interested in what you have to offer. There’s WAY more I could say about this, but this jist of it is start building that funnel….go get ‘em tiger!
- Get visible – Did your stomach just turn a little? If you’re not ready to be visible with video, then start by getting a website up. Set up a Facebook page specifically for your business. Get on social media! And if you have already done these things, how visible are you being? Are you posting to Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter & Facebook, regularly? No? GET ON IT! (said with love) It’s realllllly hard to have clients beg to work with you when they can’t even find you. Show that beautiful face of your to the world! Your ideal clients will come to you.
- Get out of your own way – STOP telling yourself that no one will want to work with you. STOP telling yourself that you can’t succeed within your business. STOP STOP STOP! Begin speaking words of love to yourself. You have a desire to run a business, right? We aren’t given our desires to torment us. We’re given these desires so that we know where our purpose is and to give us a little kick in the rear when we need it. The MOMENT you shift your mindset and begin being GRATEFUL for what you have and EXCITED for what is to come, you open your heart to RECEIVE great, awesome, magnificently positive things.
Clients will come begging for you when you BELIEVE you’re worthy of their business and when you believe in YOURSELF enough to LET IT HAPPEN. Honor the hustle and reward yourself for the hard work you do each day.
You were made to be a rock star. GO SHOW ‘EM WHAT YOU’VE GOT!
Amy Jo – International Success Coach + Soul Painter
As a firm believer in listening to your body’s intuition, Amy Jo founded Soul Paint Co. as a way to encourage women to step into their spotlight. She coaches women around the world to balance their 5 “hot spots” in order to live an abundantly successful and fulfilling life. What are the 5 “hot spots”, you ask? They consist of: Health & Wellness, Emotional Wellbeing, Relationships, Career, & Spirituality. Amy Jo believes that how you do ONE thing is how you do EVERYTHING! When any of these “hot spots” are out of alignment, they affect other areas of your life as well. By balancing these areas, we create space for the magic to happen and to live the life we want! When she’s not coaching, Amy Jo is leading Soul Painting retreats focusing on listening to your intuition through the process of painting. These retreats are moving experiences that break through self judgement and open the heart to greater self love.
Amy Jo has her Bachelors of Arts in Art Therapy, as well as certifications in Holistic and Integrative Medicine, and Complementary and Alternative Medicine. She was awarded the POP Scholarship from the National Association of Women Business Owners and is a lover of beaches, elephants, and antique shops.