More women than ever are working from home. And while working from home can be a great way to balance work and family life, it’s important to have the right design and lighting in your home office. It can be tough trying to get work done when your environment isn’t conducive to it, so here are some tips to help you out.
Not only does proper lighting improve your mood; but it also helps you work smarter by increasing productivity and preventing eye strain. There are a few key things to keep in mind when choosing the best lighting for your home office.
- Make sure you have enough light to see what you’re doing without causing eye strain.
- Choose lighting that won’t produce a glare on your computer screen or work surface.
- Consider using a combination of task lighting, desk lighting, and ambient lighting to create a well-lit space that promotes productivity.
What are the benefits of good home office lighting?
There are so many benefits of having good home office lighting. Your lighting plan works with your overall layout to create a space you actually enjoy working in daily.
A few ways the right lighting design can help are:
- Increase productivity. Studies have shown that people who work in well-lit environments are more productive than those who don’t.
- Reduced eye strain. Good lighting can also help reduce eye strain, which is a common issue for people who work on computers all day.
- Improve your mood. Good lighting can improve your mood and make your space feel more inviting and comfortable.
How to design a lighting plan for your home office
So it’s time to create your home office. Where should you start? Look at your space and consider that optimal lighting for your workspace should include a mix of daylight, direct and indirect lighting:
- If possible, the best way to position your desk for optimal lighting is to sit facing a window. This will allow natural light to fill the space and help reduce eye strain – which relaxes the eyes and the mind.
- Basic bright lighting is essential to keep you motivated in the winter on cloudy days, and when your workspace lacks natural light. Modern LED lighting is the perfect solution: you can spread light to individual focal points or over the entire ceiling to illuminate the room evenly. On bright, sunny days, the LED ceiling lighting can stay off altogether.
- Spotlighting is a great way to add a bit of drama to your home office space and is recommended in normal daylight. It can also be used to highlight certain areas or objects in the room. If you have a beautiful view, spot lighting can be used to showcase it. An LED floor lamp (such as an uplighter) in the corner and a LED table lamp on a shelf are just a few of the creative ideas for harmonious home office lighting.
If you want to make sure that your home office feels like a retreat, the options above are a great way to do it. Use these ideas to create a cozy and intimate feeling in your home office space.
Factor in daylight as well as artificial illumination
In addition to any lamps you plan to use in your home office, it’s important to factor in daylight. If possible, position your desk near a window so you can take advantage of natural light during the day. Not only will this help improve your mood, but it can also boost your productivity and creativity. At the very least, make sure to get up and move around every few hours to give your eyes a break from staring at a screen all day. Taking some time to step outside for some fresh air can do wonders for both your physical and mental health.
While there are many different lighting options available, it’s important to find one that best suits your needs. Experiment with different types of light bulbs and fixtures until you find a combination that works for you. And don’t forget to take regular breaks to give your eyes a rest! By following these simple tips, you can create a more productive and enjoyable home office space.
5 Home Office Lighting Ideas to Smartly Brighten Your Work Space
Dimmable Himalayan Salt Lamp
There are few things in life as soothing and relaxing as the warm glow from fireplace, and a Himalayan salt lamp offers a similar ambiance in your home office. Forget harsh light, these small decorative lamps are known for their calming and relaxing effect. We love that this accent lighting has a therapeutic glow and ambiance. It’s a whole mood! To get the most benefit from your lamp, make sure to place it near your desk so that you can enjoy its light and benefits while you work.
This Himalayan Salt Lamp from The Body Source is hand-carved from authentic Himalayan salt, making each lamp unique. It features a dimmer switch that allows you to adjust the brightness to create the perfect mood.
Smart LED Light Strips
LED light strips are a great option if you want to add colorful ambient lighting to the work space. Smart LED light strips can be controlled with your smartphone or voice assistant, making it easy to adjust the lighting to suit your needs. These easy to install strips can be placed around your desk, along office shelving, even behind your computer monitor to create a subtle glow or provide task-specific lighting. Plus, they come in a variety of colors to create the perfect atmosphere for working from home.
Philips Hue light strips are some of the most popular on the market. They are available in a variety of colors, including white, and can be controlled via the Philips Hue app or a smart home device like Amazon Echo or Google Home.
Or check out the LIFX Z light strip is another popular choice for home office lighting. It is available in a variety of colors, including white, and like the Philips Hue light strips above, can be controlled via the LIFX app or a smart home device like Amazon Echo or Google Home.
Adjustable Desk Lamp
A home office is not complete without a good adjustable desk lamp. This type of lamp is perfect for providing task lighting, which is essential for reducing eye strain and increasing productivity. Desk lamps come in a variety of styles and designs, so you can easily find one that fits your home office décor. When shopping for a desk lamp, look for one with an adjustable arm so you can position the light exactly where you need it. You should also choose a lamp with a dimmer switch so you can adjust the light level to suit your needs.
An adjustable desk lamp provides concentrated but movable lighting that is especially useful for focusing on work. We rated the TW Lighting Ivy LED Desk Lamp as one of the best adjustable desk lamps we’ve researched because of its flexible gooseneck design. This lamp can twist and turn in any direction you need, and it even has a convenient USB charging port built right into its base.
Track lighting is a type of lighting that can be very helpful in a home office. This type of lighting allows you to adjust the direction and intensity of the light, which can help you create the perfect workspace. Track lighting can also be used to highlight certain areas of your office, such as your desk or work area. If you are looking for a more creative way to light your home office, track lighting might be the best option for you.
The Globe Electric Payton Collection 4 Bar Track Light is a minimalist choice that will suit most home office designs. It offers bright lighting with four independently pivoting track heads so you can adjust the aim of the lights to your needs.
Ambient lighting is designed to provide general illumination and make a space feel more relaxed. It’s often used in combination with task lighting to create a well-lit environment. Floor lamps and table lamps are both great options for ambient lighting.
- Floor lamps are a great way to add ambient lighting to your home office. They provide a gentle, diffused light that can help create a relaxed atmosphere. And because they come in a variety of styles, you can find one that fits your personal aesthetic. Just be sure to place it in a spot where it won’t be in the way when you’re working!
- Table lamps are a great way to provide ambient lighting in your home office. They can be placed on either side of your desk to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. Not only do they provide a soft light that is easy on the eyes, but they can also be used to create different levels of light depending on your needs. If you want to create a more relaxing environment, try using a dimmer switch to adjust the light accordingly. You can also use table lamps to add a pop of color or style to your home office décor. Choose lamps that reflect your personal taste and style to make your space feel like your own.
- When it comes to choosing the right lighting for your home office, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind. But with these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating a space that’s both comfortable and productive
When it comes to choosing the right lighting for your home office, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind. But with these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating a space that’s both comfortable and productive
The best lighting for video conferencing
Lume Cube Video Conference Lighting Kit
The Lume Cube Video Conference Lighting Kit is a sleek and portable lighting kit that comes with a small LED light panel with an attachable silicone diffuser, a USB cable for charging the built-in battery, as well as a suction cup to attach the light to the back of your laptop, monitor or smart device. You can adjust the brightness of your light with an easy dial on its side, or use one that offers more precise control thanks to LCD screen indicators telling you exactly how much juice remains in store. A small silicone diffuser ensures even illumination while also protecting against glare—this means no reflector panels are needed when trying out video conferencing during nighttime hours without turning up volumes past 60 DBS (which could cause interference).
Neewer Portable LED Lighting Kit
This portable LED lighting kit from Neewer comes with two small light panels and adjustable desktop tripods, which you can use to set up an ideal work environment for your computer or video conferencing camera by adjusting their height so that they’re at about eye level! You power these lights by either plugging them into a USB drive on site (if available) or directly powering it via a wall outlet—there’s also one handy tablet stand included in case things get too hectic during meetings.
AFROG 3rd Gen Multifunctional LED Desk Lamp
The AFROG 3rd Gen Multifunctional LED Desk Lamp is a great choice for home office lighting. With three adjustable brightness levels and an innovative design, this lamp is perfect for any workspace. The built-in USB port means you can charge your devices while you work, and the touch-sensitive control panel makes it easy to adjust the light to suit your needs. If you’re looking for a desk lamp that will help you stay productive and reduce eye strain, the AFROG 3rd Gen Multi-functional LED Desk Lamp is a great option.
Aureday 12” LED Ring Light
If you’re looking for a great way to improve your home office lighting, then you should definitely consider getting an Aureday 12” LED Ring Light with Stand and Phone Holder. This light is perfect for video conferencing, as it provides even, natural-looking lighting that will make you look your best. It’s also great for working at your desk, as it can help reduce eye strain and increase productivity. Plus, the phone holder makes it easy to use your smartphone for hands-free calling or recording videos.
BOLING BL-P1 RGB LED Full Color Camera/Camcorder Light
Suitable for vlogging use and video conferencing, the on-camera Pocket LED RGB Video Light from BOLING features a built-in 360° mount and a pocket-sized form. Select from 360 colors in RGB mode, adjust the color temperature from 2500 to 8500K to match an ambient light source, or choose from nine special effect modes.
Don’t overthink it! Work with your space and keep it fun. At the end of the day – literally – you’ll be spending a lot of quality time in your home office so make it work for you!