I think the true secret to life is having true peace of mind and sleep. It’s a broad, high level statement, but I think everything important in people’s lives can be re-directed back to these elements.
Sleep is a no brainer. Without optimal sleep, we can’t function at an optimal level. Losing even a couple hours of sleep per night can result in low energy the next day, and low immune function. You can’t focus, can’t exercise, the day becomes a write off.
Optimal sleep allows our brains to dump all the useless information we gather throughout a day and retain the good stuff. It allows our physical bodies to rest, and repair to take on another day.
5 elements that surrounding good sleep:
- A consistent schedule(go to bed at the same time each night). Not using an alarm is optimal, as it allows us to naturally wake up on our own accord, however this may be difficult if you have a strict work schedule.
- Make sure the room is dark. Any light in the room acts as a stimulant. Including the light from your phone. Keep electronics off in your bedroom.
- Comfortable room temperature. You generally sleep more efficiently when at a cooler temperature. Clear your mind of distractions. If you watch TV at night, make it purely entertainment and not “informative”. You don’t want your mind racing as you lay your head down. Turn your phone off 30 min prior to going to bed. Let your mind wind down.
- Reduce distractions. If you have a spouse that snores, or a lot of street sounds outside, try using a white noise machine. I personally use a fan. Consistent sound, and keeps me cool.
Sleep itself is an element of having a “true peace of mind”. Ironically enough, you can relax more when you’re well rested. The other elements of “peace of mind” are different for everybody. If I could break down MY top 3 elements, they would be:
- Health – Being healthy is by far my most important. When you’re sick, the small things that are stressing you out seem to vanish into the background of your true priority of getting well. Any severity of illness, from a runny nose to a fatal disease will take away from your peace of mind.
- Safety/Security – We all want to live indoors, and we all want to know that our next meal is on its way. Security from physical danger as well as financial security are major contributors to peace of mind. Finance is one of the greatest stress inhibitors in humans, and also the primary cause of divorce. Get your head on straight financially, and it will be a huge weight off your shoulders.
- Honesty/Integrity – Have you ever told a white lie, that eventually kept haunting you? This white turns grey, and continues to eat at your conscience, and interrupts SLEEP. Being honest, and living with integrity will keep us on the level, and away from hot water.
Well…that’s how I feel always. What are YOUR top 3 elements?!
Rory Gardiner Comedian/Musician has shared the stage with a number of great artists, like Keith Urban. As a comedian, his TikTok videos have over 100M views, and his YouTube Sketches have been featured on Funny or Die and Americas Funniest Videos(AFV).