by Sandra Dawes | Featured Contributor
When I first heard the term mastermind, I was intrigued. I like the idea of a group of people working together to support one another with their respective goals. I have participated in masterminds as a facilitator and as a participant. I have seen and experienced the benefits from both perspectives and I strongly recommend finding one that suits your needs. Here are 5 reasons why I believe every entrepreneur should be a part of a mastermind group.
- We can’t do it aloneWhen we try to do it all on our own, we inevitably make painful and often very costly mistakes. Being a part of a mastermind allows us to learn from the mistakes and successes of others. It also offers us the opportunity to realize that we are not alone in our struggles and challenges. It’s nice to know that there is life after failure. It’s even better when you know that you have a group of people that are committed to helping you achieve your goals as you are to them in the pursuit of theirs.
- Different minds, different perspectivesIdeally, you want to be a part of a mastermind group that has varied skill sets, experiences and ways of processing information. You need you left and right brain thinkers at the table. We can benefit from the creative viewpoint as much as we can the analytical. Having these different thinkers in the group gives you access to a variety of viewpoints that you may never have considered. I love the saying that we don’t know what we don’t know because it’s true. Being part of a mastermind gives you access to the wealth of knowledge held by each participant.
- AccountabilityMeetings give each participant a change to update the group on who their week or month has been, depending on the frequency of the meetings. This is where each member celebrates their successes, talks about what’s working and what isn’t and what they commit to accomplishing for the next meeting. Sharing your commitments holds you accountable to the rest of the group and allows the group the opportunity to offer any help they can in the achievement of your goal. The magic happens because all of this help and support I s never one-sided. Reciprocity is the magic ingredient that makes masterminds thrive.
- Expand your network in a meaningful waySure Linkedin will show you how wide your network is because of your connections, but what does that really mean? When you’re a part of a mastermind group, you hear A LOT of “I know someone who can help you out with that!” I don’t know about you, but those words are music to my ears, especially when that connection can help me with something I’ve been wrestling with for a while! The more time you spend with your group, the better they understand your business and what you need. Whether it’s someone to help you coordinate your next event or a client referral, your group members are there to support you, just as you are there for them. Social media is great, but there’s still something to be said for that personal, intimate connection that can only be developed with time.
- Awesome camaraderie, support and encouragement Here’s the thing –when you join a mastermind group, whether it’s a six-month or year-long commitment, you can’t help but develop a strong bond with the other members. You’re baring your soul, sharing your struggles and celebrating your accomplishments with these people on a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis. When you are committed to the group, the process and each other’s success, the magic really starts to happen. There are groups that have been going for years, if not decades because they know firsthand that masterminds really do work!
Napoleon Hill, in his book Think and Grow Rich, describes a mastermind group as “a friendly alliance with one or more persons who will encourage one to follow through with plan and purpose.” He dedicates an entire chapter to the concept in the book for a reason. Being part of an effective mastermind group can be just what you need to help you take your business exactly where you want it to be, or even further than you ever imagined!
Sandra Dawes is a recovering control freak and excuse maker, as well as founder of Embrace Your Destiny, her life coaching practice. Her work involves teaching women how to stop making arguing for their limitations so that they can create the life that they want. Sandra’s inspiration to help others in this area comes from her own journey and experiences in dealing with the heartbreak of losing her father. She published her first book Embrace Your Destiny: 12 Steps to Living the Life You Deserve, a story that outlines her personal journey, in November 2013.
In her down time, Sandra loves to read, do yoga and spend time with her partner Satnam and their dog Lulu. For more information on what she does, visit www.embraceyourdestiny.ca.
Sandra Dawes is a recovering control freak and excuse maker, as well as founder of Embrace Your Destiny, her life coaching practice. Her work involves teaching women how to stop arguing for their limitations so that they can create the life that they want. Sandra’s inspiration to help others in this area comes from her own journey and experiences in dealing with the heartbreak of losing her father. She published her first book Embrace Your Destiny: 12 Steps to Living the Life You Deserve, a story that outlines her personal journey, in November 2013.
In her down time, Sandra loves to read, do yoga and spend time with her partner Satnam and their dog Lulu. For more information on what she does, visit sandradawes.com.